Sophie has over 20 years experience and a special interest aquatic physiotherapy and the management of knee osteoarthritis.
During the current pandemic, Sophie is available for both face to face and Telehealth consultations. To arrange an appointment please phone 9650 9372 or book online.
Commenced at our co-located The Melbourne Sports Medicine Centre March 2006.
Areas of special interest:
- Exercise for rehabilitation particularly in knee arthritis
- Aquatic Physiotherapy
- Physiotherapy Research
Sophie graduated from the University of Melbourne with a Bachelor of Physiotherapy. She has also completed a Masters of Physiotherapy (Sports) and was awarded the Sports Physiotherapy Australia Prize.
Sophie has special interests in treating people with knee osteoarthritis and in exercise for prevention and rehabilitation in all conditions. She has been involved in projects evaluating the effectiveness of exercise, pain coping skills and health behaviour change in people with knee arthritis at the University of Melbourne. Sophie also has research experience with aquatic physiotherapy, core stability, hip and knee arthritis, back pain and cancer rehabilitation. In addition to her Physiotherapy Sports Masters qualification she has completed further professional development in Clinical Pilates.
In 2008 Sophie was awarded a Churchill Fellowship to travel to Europe and the USA to investigate innovations in Aquatic Physiotherapy. She also lectures through the Australian Physiotherapy Association courses, Monash University and the University of Melbourne. Sophie also works at a variety of hydrotherapy pools in Melbourne for Aquatic Physio Exercise Australia.
Sophie has worked with a variety of sporting teams including football, rugby, netball and water polo. She worked part at the Carlton Football Club from 2007 – 2012. In 2019 Sophie completed her PhD on ‘Functional exercise in water for people with knee osteoarthritis’ and is the Research Co-ordinator in the Physiotherapy Department at St Vincent’s Hospital.
- PhD – University of the Sunshine Coast – 2019
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy (Hons) – University of Melbourne – 1995
- Master of Physiotherapy (Sports) – University of Melbourne – 2005
- Cert Hydrotherapy (UK) – 1999
Professional Memberships and Positions:
- Australian Physiotherapy Association
- Sports Physiotherapy Australia Titled Member
- APA Aquatic Physiotherapy Group (WCPT Australian representative)
- Research co-ordinator in the Physiotherapy Department at St Vincent’s Hospital
- Churchill Fellowship for Aquatic Physiotherapy 2008
Involvement with Teams and Associations:
- Carlton Football Club (2007 – 2012)
Personal Sporting Experience:
- Netball, tennis, dog walking!
Sophie is available for consultation at The Melbourne Sports Medicine Centre each Monday afternoon.
To arrange an appointment to see Sophie please phone 9650 9372 or book online.