Dr Mark Benton
Mark has a holistic approach to medicine, believing that good communication and patient’s involvement in their care is the key to successful treatment. He has a strong ethos based on exercise and proper nutrition as health tools.
Commenced at The Melbourne Sports Medicine Centre 2021.
Areas of special interest
- All aspects of Sports Medicine
- General Medicine
- Men’s Health and Rheumatology
- Preventative Medicine
Mark completed his medical training at Manchester Medical School in the UK in 2006. Since that time he has practiced across the UK including in London and Manchester. He worked in Emergency Medicine before becoming a General Practitioner in 2012 and has continued his work in both specialities. He has a specialist interest in men’s health and rheumatology, having led a regional rheumatology service while working in the UK. Prior to moving to Australia, Mark worked as a musculoskeletal specialist practitioner.
Mark’s predominant sports medicine experience has been in football (soccer), having worked for a number of professional clubs. He has also spent time working in Rugby Union for Saracens Football club and London Irish. He spent a number of years in event medicine and has been the lead doctor in large scale international tournaments for a UK national team. Mark has a specialist interest in knee and ankle injuries, especially tendinopathies and is currently part of the medical team for North Melbourne Football Club.
Mark has a holistic approach to medicine, believing that good communication and patient’s involvement in their care is the key to successful treatment. He has a strong ethos based on exercise and proper nutrition as health tools and believes in evidence based medicine.
- Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery – Manchester University, UK 2006
- Membership of the Royal College of General Practitioners 2012
- Master of Sports and Exercise Medicine, Merit – Queen Mary’s University London 2018
- Fellowship Royal Australian College of General Practitioners 2020
- Fellowship of the Faculty of Sports and Exercise Medicine, Edinburgh 2020
Involvement with Teams and Associations:
- North Melbourne Football Club Doctor 2021 – ongoing
- Luton Town Football Club Doctor 2018 – 2021
- Millwall Football Match Day Doctor 2017 – 2018
- Borehamwood Football Club Doctor 2015 – 2021
- Saracens U23 Match Day Doctor 2018 – 2019
- Tough Mudder Medical Doctor 2017 – 2020
- Maccabi Games UK Team Head Medical Doctor 2017
- Indoor Athletics World Championship Doctor 2018
- London Lionesses Club Doctor 2018 – 2019
Personal Sporting Experience:
Mark enjoys staying active and has been involved with resistance training, both for himself and coaching others for a number of years. He has a keen interest in nutrition and sports supplementation. He is currently trying to encourage his two children to get involved in sports, with mixed success.
Mark is available for consultation each Tuesday.
To arrange an appointment please book online or alternatively phone 96509372.